Thursday, January 21, 2010

Cookies I Don't Really Wanna Eat


Success! The latest batch of cookies turned out pretty much as expected: Soft Oatmeal with Raisins. They're round plops instead of flat cakes, crumbly and dry, and full of raisins. Blah. I have absolutely no desire to eat them. They have a Phoebe Factor of 8, and she's actually eaten more of these than me.
They've been in the cookie jar for almost a week now, and I do not find myself wanting to eat them for breakfast, lunch, snack and snack. They're not bad, I just don't like raisins in my cookies. But my husband likes them. I felt like I had to throw him a bone, because I made quite a few batches of delicious cookies that needed to be hustled of the house so they wouldn't all be consumed by yours truly. And consequently he got to eat about three of each.
The Essential Soft Oatmeal Cookie
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup brown sugar
1 large egg, beaten
6 tablespoons sour cream or yogurt (regular or lowfat, but NOT nonfat)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup raisins
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 & 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped pecans
  • Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two bakng sheets. 
  • In a large bowl, cream together the butter, oil and sugar. Add the egg, beating until fluffy, then beat in the sour cream and vanilla. Stir in the raisins and the oats.
  • In a separate bowl, mix together the baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and flour. Add this mixture, a cup at a time, to the oat mixture, beating well after each addition. Stir in the nuts. Let the dough rest for 15 to 30 minutes.
  • Using a tablespoon scoop, drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake the cookies for 12 minutes, or until they're light brown.  Remove them from the oven and transfer to a rack to cool.

1 comment: